Thursday, May 1, 2008

Surprise?

Sitting on the couch with their wine Richie and Leana chatted about the upcoming holiday and the party they were planning. Glancing over to the fireplace Richie noticed that there were three stockings hung on the mantel, just as there were at his house. He looked over at Leana, “you hung a stocking for Ava? You didn’t have to do that.” Leana set her glass down and stood, he had just given her the perfect opening. It’s now or never. She moved over to the fireplace, running her fingers over the stocking. “It’s not for Ava, Richie.” He stood and went to her, stopping her fingers, “if it’s not for Ava, then who?” She looked up at him; he could see the storm of emotions swirling in her eyes.

He knew something had been bothering her for weeks now, but she never said anything. “Are you pregnant?” The question came out on a whisper. He was afraid to hope for that, but he had to know. She shook her head slowly. “No Richie, I’m not pregnant.” Her voice was sad and her heart ached for the words to tell him.

He pulled her into his embrace. “Tell me what is going on darlin’. I know something has been bothering you for a while now. Just tell me and we will get through it.” Leana rested her head against his chest, “I’m not sure I can. I don’t know … I can’t find the words.” A tear slid down her cheek as Richie lifted her chin to look at her. He was worried now. What could she possibly have to tell him that could be that bad?

Leana pulled herself from his embrace and turned back to the stockings hanging on the mantel. She steeled herself and decided she was just going to tell him. “This third stocking is for Joshua, my… our son.” She felt him stiffen behind her, “what did you just say?” The question came out on a strangled whisper.

She turned to face him now, “I said that stocking is for Joshua, our son.” Richie stepped away from her, “What do you mean our son?” He couldn’t understand. How could she have had his child and not told him? How could she do that to him?

Looking at him Leana could see that he was, as she knew he would be, stunned by the news. She reached out to touch him, but he stepped farther away from her. “Richie, please, just listen to me.” He just shook his head, grabbing his coat and shoving his feet into his shoes. “How could you not tell me? How could you keep my child from me?” He walked out.

Leana watched him leave and dropped to her knees on the floor, the sobs wracking her body. She had hoped he would have let her explain but now, as she watched him leave she thought I lost him again.

No comments: